While the self help features did provide the user with some options troubleshooting help, there was still a need to provide support for users who could not complete the KBA on their own and to help users who may have lost the device they registered for the 2-step verification with.
I began this process by talking with customer service representatives about what common account access issues they currently handled and what their process for user identification was.
This conversations helped me gain empathy and better understanding for our customer service teams. I came out of the discussions having stronger working relationships with the team and a better understanding of how I could support them in handling calls regarding the new security updates.
I identified 2 key features that the tooling should provide; a method to complete a phone based KBA to temporarily disable the user facing KBA questionnaire, and a way for the representatives to reset a users MFA method all together.
For the KBA support, I introduced a new tool to the Customer Services and for the MFA support, I created an amendment to a tool the customer service team already used.
Customer Service Tooling
After putting together the initial concepts for the customer service tooling, I met again with the customer service team to review the designs in 2 seperate usability tests. These tests concluded that the tooling met expectations and identified areas where I could simplify the information the customer service representatives were being shown.
I took the feedback from these tests to refine the experience. Then proceeded to reviewing the tooling with the Product Manager and Lead Developer, where we worked together to prioritize the tooling features.